Thursday, May 7, 2009

Five things I love about my body


Welcome to Five Things Thursday! This week's love affair is five things I love about my body. Yes, this body. And no, there will be no pictures this week. Thanks for asking.

If you're thinking this would be one of those posts that falls under the category of things I don't really love but am learning to be content with, you'd be right.

Let's get on with it.


1. My birthmark

I have this little birthmark on my left upper arm. Unless I've pointed it out to you, you probably wouldn't even know it was there. It's cute and little. It makes me unique. It looks like an island. I like it. I've always liked it.

2. My stretchmarks

I have more than my fair share of stretchmarks. Truth be told, I have more than five women's fair share of stretchmarks. I often look at them with disgust and wish my body could be back to what it was like when I only thought it wasn't perfect. But sometimes, I run my fingers over the more prominent marks and remember that brief time when I sacrificed my body for the sake of my children. I remember what it felt like to feel my babies move and stretch within me.

Truth be told, only those whose lives have been affected by the result of these scars on my body will ever see these marks. And they think I'm beautiful for what I did to create this family.

3. My tummy

KK has been asking lately why my tummy is so big. I keep telling her that I grew two babies in there and that it's harder for the muscles to hold everything together now (and that it's not nice to tell someone that their tummy is big).

I am probably most self-conscious about my tummy. Yet, it is where my children love to cuddle and if that's not reason enough to love it, I don't know what is!

4. My hair

Ok, so I've been complaining about my hair a lot lately, but I really am blessed with great hair. It's easy to maintain, extremely thick, and very healthy. I should stop complaining.

5. My height

I'm 5'4''. I'd like to think that's average height, but I'm married into a family of abnormally tall people, so I'm referred to as "short" quite frequently. But, short or not, I like this height. I deal with shorter people all day, and I have little distance to travel to get down to their level. I never have trouble finding pants that are long enough for my short legs. If I need to get something that is out of my reach, I can either grab a chair or play the damsel in distress and get my hubby to reach it for me. He's one of those abnormally tall people.

Ok, that wasn't so hard.

Now it's your turn. What's your five things this week? Write a blog post and link up to join the fun. Or, if you don't have a blog, leave me your list in the comments. You don't have to copy my topic, but feel free if you need a little direction. I can't wait to hear what y'all have to say!

***Mr Linky stays open until next Thursday when I post my next Five Things Thursday, so join in whenever you are able***

5 comments:

  1. Okay, good list. And, if you have a big tummy, well, I don't want to know what the word for mine is. Yes, shut up about your hair! It is beautiful and I've always been jealous of it so no sympathy here! All joking aside, it is good to stop and take stock of the positives. I would definitely struggle with this one so good for you! You are beautiful and a great mother and we all love you exactly as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed because I could not write a post about my body and point out the good things. Especially the stretch marks.

    I laugh at KK's comment on your tummy only because Luke asked me the other day if I was having another baby and I think it was because of the shirt I had on and how I was sitting. Eric thought it was pretty funny....

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to break free of negative thoughts about our transformed MOMMY bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I'm going to come up with a list this weekend and link up. It would do my post-partum self-esteem some good! : )

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!