And though Mommy would really benefit from a 29 minute timeout (using the age = minutes formula), she only gets a 5 minute timeout.
And what does a Mommy timeout look like?
Mommy says, "I need a timeout. I'm going to my room. I'll be back in five minutes," and calmly closes the bedroom door.
...
...
...
...
...
(Ok, fine, most of you are mommies too. I can't fool you, can I?)
In a real Mommy timeout, Mommy
Mommy is always a perfect role model for her children. Always.
And what does Mommy do during her blessed 5 minutes?
She inserts a finger into each ear and, through her tears, reads Philippians 4:6-8 over and over.
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.And how does Mommy know that the children are safe during her timeout?
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Phil 4:6-8 (NLT)
Through her plugged ears, and the pillow she has pulled over her head, she can hear them banging on the door. And calling for her to come back out. And that is why a Mommy timeout can only last for 5 minutes.
But 5 minutes is all she needs.
*** This post has been brought to you by the part of my personality that insists on keeping it real. The part that believes that mommies need to be honest with how hard this mommy thing is and how, though we try hard, sometimes we fail. Now I will hit "publish" and immediately feel completely exposed and ashamed until someone says something nice. So get on it, mkay? ;) ***
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has timeouts like that! I think it is great that you know when you've reached your limit and are able to pull yourself back and calm down. After all, isn't that what we want our kids to do? Mommy time-outs are sometimes even more important than kid time-outs.
ReplyDeleteIn fact, around our house this mommy partakes in the occasional time-out and nap time, too. I figure if it's good for the kids it's good for me, too! : )
You mean other people do this, too? Thank goodness I'm not alone.
ReplyDeleteI have had time outs for years. Now that the kids are old enough they understand what the alternative is (irrational, screaming Mommy). Now the kids encourage Mommy to have time outs (especially post nights...).
ReplyDeleteOh... I get that so well. My two boys can push me to my breaking point all the time. It is hard but I thank you for keeping it real because you know as well as I do that all mommy's deal with this.
ReplyDelete