Sunday, December 13, 2009

I couldn't even remember my password

Oh hello. It's been a while hasn't it?

It is currently 4:45 am and I am at work and finally, I have found some time to spend with my blog.

It has been so long, that I couldn't even remember how to log in. Ugh. What a great journal this has turned out to be.

How about we start with a little update on each of the family members, starting with the little one:

JJ. Oh, how I adore this child. He is, at all times, the dictionary definition of cuteness, stubborness, persistence, and crazy dancing. This month, he'll be two and in the past month, he has reached some pretty big milestones.

He's starting to use many words now, and even string some of them together. Up until very recently, he has shown a definite preference for non-verbal communication. Then suddenly, he started calling us Mommy and Daddy (instead of mama and dada) and very quickly, he's gained many new words. My current favourite is his version of snuggle: nuckle.

Oh, that reminds me. He is the funniest snuggler. It just does not come naturally to him (which is weird because his father is SO affectionate. Ahem.) For example, the other night he calls me into his room. "Mommy?", he asks in his little voice with the exaggerated uptone of the question. "Mommy, nuckle." And he gives me that look, with the pouty little lip. The look with which he will always be able to manipulate me. I climb in beside him and he lays his head on my collarbone. No, that's not comfortable, so he puts his head on my chin, but then his body is hanging off awkwardly, so that only lasts 13 seconds. Next he lays his head on my hip, with his butt right in my face. I wait to see what he will do, but he can't figure out where to put his legs... and on it goes.

Yesterday, he told me that he's not a baby anymore ("baby" while shaking his head no), but is instead a "bick booooyyyyy". Which is appropriate since we moved him into a big boy bed not quite a month ago. I will post pictures soon. It might help to nag me. So far, the transition has been much less difficult than I'd anticipated, although he also figured out how to open doors three days after switching beds. And so, mornings are starting a little earlier around here, which you'd think would lead to more time for me to do stuff... but not so much because you see, there's the third milestone that he has reached...

Potty training. I really didn't even expect to start training this one until he was three. If he doesn't want to do something, there is no WAY on earth anyone can coerce him. But then he gained a new love for being naked. And skills. Boy, has he got stripping skills. I told him if he wanted to be naked, he had to try peeing on the potty. And he did. Suddenly and unexpectedly, I was thrust right into what has, so far, been fairly successful potty training. Which is horrible timing, considering that over Christmas, we will be spending two weeks driving here, there, and everywhere. So my little guy spends his time at home running around in Spiderman underwear, and I spend my time watching his cues and ready to drop everything at the announcement of the need for the "piepie" (potty).

And how about KK? What has she been up to?

KK turned four in November, and I have decided that I really like four. It seems we are finally starting to see some consistent result from all the work we put into two and three and she has developed into a very caring, loving, obedient, gentle little girl.

I'm not saying that she can't throw a mighty temper tantrum if she wants to, because she sure can. But they are pretty rare these days.

She spends her time playing barbies, polly pockets, dolls, and trains. She loves social play. I can never keep straight who she is pretending to be. A princess, a baby, a mommy, a nurse, a fairy, a patient. She loves to pretend she's a grown-up. Quite often she pretends she is the mommy, and I am the grandma, so I spend all day answering to grandma. I really do think I'm too young to be a grandma, although I'm sure Peanut-lover would tell you differently.

KK loves to learn and she regularly pulls out her "school work" and practices her letters. She surprised me last week by being able to recognize many words by sight: my name, Mommy, Daddy, love, her name, JJ's name, to, and from. She also can write words just from hearing me spell them out for her. She's learning how to sound out words too. All this with very little intentional teaching from me. She just works it into her play. She loves to spell her name and I'm quite sure that nearly every sheet of paper in the house has her name scribbled on it. I love how she writes the "e" backwards and sometimes puts the "y" in the wrong place.

I go back and forth about whether we will register her in preschool for a few months. She has all the readiness skills for kindergarten (even her phone number and address memorized) and I'm not eager to push her in the area of academics because I know she will so soon get caught up in pushing herself. I want her to be free and playful for as long as possible. I know she would love it though, and so I revisit the idea regularly.

I love this little girl so much. I fail her so often but she is so forgiving. Sometimes she tells me that I need to ask Jesus to help me be a better mommy (and I do, oh how I do), but most of the time, she tells me that I'm the best mommy. I know I'm not the best mommy. I struggle with her because I am learning on her. I'm not very patient. I forget to be present. But I know I'm doing a pretty good job. I try as often as possible to be conscious in my parenting. And when I fail, I own up to it right away and ask for forgiveness. KK tells me that she will always forgive me. Am I blessed, or what?

Well, this was going to be a full update on all the goings on in the weenut household, but I have been writing for an hour (stopping only to check an IV, suction a patient, and answer a call bell) and now I must get on to my 6 am work. One more hour and then I can head home to sleep and do it all again tonight. Who knows? Maybe I'll even have time to write the second half of this post!

Over and out.

(hopefully not for long)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!