I've been thinking a lot about poverty.
Thinking about how our North American culture is so much about accumulation. Our goal as young adults is to get the great job, so we can get the new car and big house and all the nice stuff. We work hard to get those things, but soon we want more. We work hard our entire lives to set ourselves up for a sweet, indulgent retirement. We're never satisfied.
Thinking that if we want to live within our culture, we almost have to bow to the pressures to accumulate. Thinking about how we have so much more than we need and people are dying because of it.
We had the same plans as everyone else. Get through school. Buy a big house. Buy a nice car. Buy a second car. Upgrade the house. Upgrade the cars. Repeat as necessary.
But then, school lasted a lot longer than we'd expected. We learned to live with so much less than we ever thought we could. Over the past couple of years, it's really made us rethink the life plan.
And recently, God's stretched us even further. God's been doing something to my heart and at the same time, similar things to Peanut-lover's heart. We know it's God because he's changed our hearts in the same direction without us even ever talking about it. We're becoming really uncomfortable with the luxuries in our lives that we see as necessities. Uncomfortable with excess.
Frankly, it freaks me out.
I like to be comfortable. I don't like to stretch myself. I don't like challenge. I like fitting in, blending in, not being noticed. I love a new pair of shoes.
But if God is changing my heart, what is he changing it for?
That's what freaks me out.
The mission feild???
ReplyDeleteOh, I had the same thought at Crissy before I read her comment.
ReplyDelete