Every year, for KK's birthday, we have made up a movie of all the best video clips and pictures of the year, put to music. This year, we wrote and recorded a song for it in our home recording studio. (And by home recording studio, I mean our walk-in closet lined with heavy blankets, a laptop, microphone, keyboard, bass, and guitar)
Here are the words.
You came into our lives
Took us by surprise
Changed us
Redefined us
We will never be the same
We don't want to be the same
You are innocent and free
You dance and you sing
You laugh and you love
You are honest and open
For you life is unrehearsed
You be you
You be free
Be the girl you were made to be
As you grow
As you take on the world
Know you're safe here at home
Forever our little girl
Uninhibited and free
Change for no one else
You'll spend the rest of your life
Trying to find yourself
YOU are who you should be
You be you
You be free
Be the girl you were made to be
As you grow
As you take on the world
Know you're safe here at home
Forever our little girl
---------------------------------------
We debuted the song at KK's birthday party, during the birthday movie. KK was sitting beside her favourite cousin and when she heard the song start, she grabbed her cousin's hand and excitedly said, "You know this song? This one about me!" Then she proceded to belt it out at the top of her lungs the entire way through. "You be you, You be THREE..."
That moment in itself made all the hours of work we put into it worthwhile.
Awww, that is so sweet! What an amazing gift to her that she'll be able to treasure forever! You guys did an amazing job on that song. You and your daughter will have a special relationship and I know she will feel loved and safe (here at home). Miss you
ReplyDeleteAs I listened to this beautiful song, I thought of my little girl, KK's mommie and all the joy and thoughtfulness she had brought us and continues to bring us - I thought of her brother and how much fun, wildness and compassion he too brought into our lives.
ReplyDeleteWatching little KK enjoying the gift her mommie and daddy made absolutely only for her was a most precious moment. In front of those KK loves the most - her family, her parents made her feel like the most loved and important person on earth - a true gift that will last a life time.
Children are such a blessing from God. Everyday I give thanks for the two, now 7 and soon to be 8 children (mix of adults, spouses and grandbabes)that God entrusted to me to love and nurture.
I am truly a blessed woman.
That is the sweetest thing. Just think she will have those memories to look back at someday and they will mean so much.
ReplyDeleteI made a video of photo's of my one year old to music for his first birthday. My oldest seemed so jealous that I have got to do it for his birthday coming up.
ugh... there aren't words.
ReplyDeleteI love the song. I love picturing her getting all excited about it.
You guys are doing a great job!!!