It was sprinkling rain, but we figured it wouldn't last long. We were wrong. It turned out to be a spectacular thunderstorm.
Our friend Tom found some great pictures of the storm on flickr.
First we saw a lot of this. A LOT of this:
And then, huddled together under an umbrella, we saw the most amazing sunset we've ever seen:

The colors in that last picture are no exaggeration. The sky actually looked like it was on fire. It was AMAZING.------------------------------------------
About 8 months or so ago, Peanut-lover came to me and told me that we needed to start dating again. Each other, I mean. We'd let ourselves get caught up with the raising of the children and weren't really getting along well.
Ok, I'll be honest. It wasn't nice to be us. We were getting by, but we weren't happy.
I couldn't see how we could fit it in our busy schedules, or how we could budget the extra expense, but Peanut-lover was adamant. We HAD to do date nights. Twice a month. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Nothing else would matter if our marriage fell apart. Not our budget. Not our schedules. He told me to book our babysitter and let the details work themselves out. So I did.
The first two dates, we were so irritated with each other that we literally went to a restaurant, ordered food, ate our food, picked up milk, and went home.
Gradually, the dates started getting better, and I started looking forward to our nights out. Now when I get my work schedule for the month, I immediately sit down with our calendar and block off a couple nights for our dates.
Sometimes, it's just grabbing a burrito and going for a walk. Or grabbing a burrito and sitting at the beach together. Or just grabbing a burrito. We like burritos. One time we went bathing suit shopping together (more fun for him than it was for me, I'm sure). I'm hoping we'll go bowling soon. Sometimes family members watch the kids. Other times our babysitter watches the kids.
It's so easy to put this relationship aside, when so many other things demand our attention. But Peanut-lover was right. If this falls apart, all those other things won't matter anymore. We HAVE to take care of this.
And you know what... I can't tell you how it happened, but the budget? It just worked itself out.

Love this post and glad that you found something that works for you guys. One day the kids will leave and all you have is each other, if you don't stay close now, then you'll fall apart later! Jim and I don't get out alone at all but we are going away for a night on our anniversary this year, for the first time and I'm so excited!
ReplyDeleteWow such pretty pictures of the sky, but I am sure also very scary, and yuck to the wet.
ReplyDeleteI am so hearing exactly what you are saying about date night. My husband and I are not getting along right now and I get very frustrated with him. I have said time and again we need to go out but it never happens. One of our issues is not having a sitter. I wont just leave my kids with anyone so it is grandma's who babysit. They don't live close so it takes a lot of work to coordinate. A girl at church is about to get her drivers license so she might become an option for sitting for us.
I agree - date nights are SO important. We go out alone at least once a month now. And every once in awhile my mom will take the Tongginator for a weekend so that we have the ENTIRE weekend to ourselves. It's amazing how well we get along after time like that.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post. We tend to bring this topic up now and again, and kinda wonder at other people's "date night" schedules .. sometimes you guys speak into our lives incredibly accurately through this blog - age and stage of kids makes it very relevant - I wonder if we'll get this date night thing sorted out? We do however need to find a more english phrase for it. "date night" and "play date" are totally north american language, and just don't sound so wonderful in english english somehow.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, and you guys have to see this little movie of the day of glorious sunset and lightning.. kinda cool that the soundtrack is Gloria in excelsis - not chosen by accident me thinks :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNgk1pEHi_Q