X-rays revealed a longer than normal tailbone (yeah, I had a tail) and my doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatories which did nothing for my tailbone pain, but were incidentally miraculous for my menstrual pain.
Finally, at the end of August, the last option presented to me was to remove the lower portion of my tailbone... the coccyx part. My surgeon felt it would be effective and so the date was set. And the day before I was to leave for my third year of university, I made the decision to take time off for the surgery.


That same summer, I had begun to realize that while medical school interested me, the life of a doctor did not. I became aware that being the kind of wife and mother I wanted to be would be incredibly difficult as a doctor. My dream, my parents' dream, my teachers' dream... I let it go. But I didn't know what to replace it with. And so I floundered some more.
And then, that same summer, I fell in love. I gave my heart away and it got broken. Bad. Real bad.
Suddenly, I had nothing. No purpose, no direction, no love. I hit rock bottom and I hit it hard.
And I stopped caring.
First I stopped caring if I lived. Then I stopped caring what people thought or expected of me. Then I stopped caring about things that didn't matter, like rigid schedules or unimportant rules.
And then I was free.
It took a long time to recover from that very low place and I have returned to it twice more, and also suffered with postpartum depression twice.
But each time I recovered, I was different. I felt more, both in sadness and in joy. I understood emotion more. Life was less about success and accomplishments, schedules and routines. Life was more about people.
If you didn't know me before my depression, you may be surprised to hear that I was more rigid and more strict than I am now. Yes, it is true. I was more rigid and strict than I am now. It is possible. Just ask my brother how stressed out I'd get if he messed up any of my schedules (I am quite sure he would do it on purpose).
Depression is very misunderstood and a lot of people suffer privately because of the social stigma attached. I try to be very open about my experience of depression in the hopes that I can promote understanding and compassion.
...because it's not all bad. My depression freed me.
We really do have a whole lot in common. Sometimes I'm even a bit shocked by it.
ReplyDeleteNo, I don't have tail bone to show people :)
BUT, I do get the depression thing, you know that. And it does bring out what needs bringing out and it does change you for the better in the end. You said it so well, so I'll shut up now :)
I do remember how rigid and strict you were (heehee, camp, remember?) but you have been through a lot and God has used these tough times to shape you into the amazing person you are. You have always been amazing and a great friend but it is amazing how our experiences and relationship with God change us. He prepared you for marriage, motherhood and I think someday you'll be using your experiences to help others. Maybe you already are but it is great that you are so open in sharing so that you can be used. I appreciate your honesty and Love you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this post with us. You are very correct in saying that depression is often suffered in silence because of stigma - within families too.
ReplyDeleteI am definitely a much stronger person for having depression - and also someone who has become very cognizant of her limits and has learned to say "No".
It's good to have someone to talk to/blog with about this issue.
Emily
That sounds so painful. I have been lucky and never gone through depression but I know some who have and it can't be easy. It is good to here you have grown from it and you are stonger because of it.
ReplyDeleteOK, I cannot imagine the pain you were in because my first child broke my tailbone upon birth (high forcepts/OP presentation). I couldn't sit for six months.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great you kept the tail bone. My grandmother kept her gall stones in a Gerber jar. We thought they looked like tiny black-eyed peas.