Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A year ago today


A year ago today, I stood by the bedside of my Grandma and watched her slip peacefully away from us after a brief bout of pneumonia.


(It may surprise you to hear that, as a nurse, I had never before been with someone when they died. I've been there in the minutes before and the minutes afterward, but I've always tried to leave a family in privacy for that moment of death.)

(Her last birthday party, 6 months before she died)

On the day that she died, my Grandma spent the morning singing and receiving spa treatments from my mom. With curlers in her hair and fingernails freshly painted, she praised Jesus with a heart that was ready to meet him. Her consciousness faded as the day progressed and soon we began to see signs of her body beginning to shut down.


In her last hour, her three daughters were finally together by her side. They told her that they loved her and would miss her. They told her that although they didn't want her to go, they would be ok. Her breathing changed when they said that and I mentioned it to them and encouraged them to keep talking to her.


She was turned to her right side and the three of them stood, arms around each other, facing her.... cheering her on. Cheering her on to her rest. Cheering her on to her reunion with Grandpa and her sons.


I could almost picture her standing between two wonderful places. On one side, her three daughters... on the other, standing behind a gate, Jesus, Grandpa, and her two sons. I pictured her looking back and forth between them. Both groups reaching out for her. Her daughters with tears of grief streaming down their faces. Her husband and sons, jumping and leaping with joy because they had waited so long to be with her.

And I watched her choose.

She left her body so rapidly that I was stunned. Within minutes of hearing that her daughters would be ok, she was gone. Gone to her rest. Reunited with Grandpa and her boys. Dancing with Jesus.

She was beautiful always. She is missed intensely. But we know we'll see her again...


Grandma, we miss you... we love you... we'll see you again soon.

5 comments:

  1. Tears streaming down my face. All I can say is that was a beautiful post. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your Grandma was a very lucky lady to be so loved by her family.

    This is such a beautiful post.

    Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Blessings,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just brought tears to my eyes. I had a grandma that I was so close to and loved so much. It was so hard losing her. She died many years ago and never got to see me have my children. She loved kids and I am sure she smiles down on them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how this brings back so many memories of my own grandmother's death. I as there, too, and it was such a hopeful, peaceful event.

    You have such a neat family...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tribute sweetie to a wonderful woman who was so soft spoken and loving and yet so strong.

    Love you
    Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!