I pick up the last overturned chair and tuck it under the table. For the moment, my dining room is tidy.
"No mommy, those for my exercise."
"It is time for lunch and mommy told you to finish up what you were doing."
She kicks over one of the chairs.
"PICK THAT UP. RIGHT. NOW!"
It has been like this all day. Me, exerting my authority. She, refusing to listen. I know my approach is wrong, but today, I can't seem to help it. I am seeking control in any way I can.
I find it in the most unexpected place.
Her 3-year-old body is shaking with rage as she runs at me. Her arms are flailing and she is shrieking in frustration. I turn toward her just before she reaches me and I see it in her eyes: self-control.
Twice, she reaches out to hit me. Twice, she stops herself in mid-air.
I am so proud and I tell her so. We reconcile amidst hugs and tears. We talk about how it is ok to be angry, but it is NOT ok to do bad things when we are angry. (In your anger, do not sin. Ephesians 4:26).
For now, the storm has passed and peace reigns once again in our home... this time because of her.
As always, she remains one step ahead of me in our journey.
Good for her. I wish Joseph would learn to exercise more self-control! It is great that you were able to notice this and use it as a teaching moment. Good job mommy!
ReplyDeleteGood job seizing that teachable moment, Peanut!
ReplyDeleteIt will leave a deeper and lasting impression on KK because you recognized that while she was misbehaving, she was also trying not to be bad.
The fact that she already knows that hitting is bad, shows what awesome parents you and Peanut-lover are!
Emily
I have those moments, too... where the Tongginator teaches me. It's humbling, but oh so wonderful at the same time.
ReplyDeleteWhat great self control... I would be so proud. I find it amazing how much they are willing to test us.
ReplyDelete