Monday, June 8, 2009

The fire that almost was **ETA**

I just about burned down our apartment today.

In my defence, I worked a night shift last night and had only had about 2 hours of sleep. And the kids were both sitting at the table chanting "pitas and hummus, pitas and hummus". They were hungry and I needed to produce something fast.

Still...

In retrospect, I should have known that our toaster wasn't meant to toast pitas.

Do you know how often I pop something in the toaster and then run off to the bathroom to pee and get distracted by a mess along the way? Too often. I should know better. I'm sure my parents taught me better.

Fortunately, this time, I was just in the next room when I heard the toaster making an awful noise. By the time I got in the kitchen, the pita was on fire, with rapidly growing flames shooting out the top of the toaster. I screamed out something like, "God! What do I do?" and then unplugged the toaster and threw it in the sink. The same sink that should have been filled with dishes, but for some reason was clear. With the water running, the fire died quickly.

But the crisis wasn't over yet. Now, I was in a fierce battle with the smoke. The kitchen was filled with smoke. Our smoke alarm was already ringing and I knew it wouldn't be long before it set the building alarms off. I really did not want to drag my half-naked children and my pajama'd self outside, avoiding eye-contact with all the other neighbours who had to evacuate while the firemen checked to make sure it was safe to enter.

It was nearly nap-time for goodness sake.

Fortunately, our hood fan has an amazing draw, and it managed to clear out enough of the smoke while I wildly waved a towel at the smoke alarm (and I've got the sore shoulder to prove it!). Then I ran and grabbed our fan to blow the rest of the smoke away from the smoke alarm.

KK was pacing through the kitchen and dining room worriedly asking, "What's going to happen to our home?" over and over. JJ was screaming in his booster seat. I was shaking uncontrollably.

But we were safe. The crisis was over.

And here is what I am thankful to God for:

1. I wasn't in another room like I am many times.

2. The sink was clear.

3. My hood fan has an awesome draw.

4. The smoke alarm stopped before it set off the building alarms.

5. No smokin' hot firemen had to come evacuate the building... oh... wait...

6. There were more pitas in the freezer (microwaved this time).

I may need a new toaster, however.

***Edited to Add***
Last night, when Peanut-lover got home, he had a new toaster with him. Our friends that were at the same meeting as him last night, read my facebook status and surprised us with a fancy new toaster. Thanks B and H!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are all okay! I had a toaster oven (that was seriously very old) catch on fire once, but at least the flames are contained inside! The smoke is the worst part, smells forever! I love hummus too! Everyone at work turns their noses up at it when I bring it for my lunch. Oh well, I don't have to share then! Glad all ended well (and hey, it gave you a blog post!) and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too much excitement for one day! I've never had the toaster catch on fire...but the toaster oven, well that's another story. It was a regular occurrence with the toaster oven I had before my current one. It seemed that if there was even one crumb in the bottom, it would light up. The worst was the day that the flames started to come out of the toaster oven...sort of like a big orange halo. It even singed the bottom of the cupboards because the flames were so tall. That was the end of that toaster oven, because I had just cleaned the crumb tray before attempting to make toast.

    I hope you are enjoying the new toaster!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you and the kids are ok . .. that is all that really matters in circumstances like this. I can't recall if I ever had to deal with a fire - hmm, I guess somethings just naturally slip out of one's mind.

    There goes my Christmas idea for a gift for ya - thanks B and H *shrug and a giggle*.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!