Thursday, June 4, 2009

Five things I love about Summer!


(I have a blog? Oh yeah, right... I guess I just haven't had much to say lately. Oh, and that laughter you hear is my husband. He'd probably love a day where I actually didn't have much to say. Keep dreaming baby!)

Anyways, here we are at Thursday and since this week, we are in the middle of a heat wave (don't tell anyone, but I'm dying of misery because I ain't so fond of this much heat), I thought I'd talk about five things that I love about summer.

1. Fairs

I hate crowds and I hate paying through the nose for anything, and yet I am in love with fairs. I lived in a very small city through my teenage years and every labour day weekend, our tiny little baby city hosted a massive fair. Each summer, I spent every waking moment at the fair. For 6 years now, I have been hoping to go back to my fair. I love the smells, the lights, the memories, the excitement in the air. I can't get enough of the rides, the energy, the romance, the music, the food. Oooooh Nelly, someone get me to a fair!

2. Romance

I don't know what it is, but there is something so romantic about summer. I think there is a freedom that comes with summer that makes it just a little easier to fall in love, whether for the first time, or over and over again with the same person. It's just something in the air.

3. Camping

I am actually a pretty miserable camper during the actual camping. Lack of sleep and lack of routines will do that to me. But I love looking back at the memories created during our camping trips. I love the laid back lifestyle: the wearing of the same dirty clothes every day, the letting go of nutritional guidelines (as much as I can), the campfires, the s'mores, and the family walks.

We try to do at least two week-long camping trips each summer, and we are fast approaching our first trip for this summer (which should explain the complete freak-outs that will start happening in about a week) (consider yourselves warned).

4. BBQ

Yeah, there's nothing like grilled meat that I haven't had to prepare. Nope. I'm not allowed to touch the BBQ. That's a "MAN's job". Not that I don't know how to BBQ because I do (and I've only singed my eyebrows and eyelashes twice, and not recently). I'm actually a pretty darn good BBQer, but in our home, the MAN runs the BBQ. Peanut-lover gets out there with his MAN tools and fire and presto: supper happens. And I had very little to do with it. And my house is not all heated up. That makes this momma very happy.

5. Fresh local produce

We eat a lot of fruit and veggies around here. Yeah, mom, you read that right. Fruits. And vegetables. It's nice when summer rolls around and we're not getting all our "fresh" food from California and Mexico. Our city has a lot of farmland, so we get all kinds of fresh produce come this time of year. And it is so much yummier when it has been allowed to ripen naturally. Can I get an Amen?

Now it's your turn. What's your five things this week? Write a blog post and link up to join the fun. Or, if you don't have a blog, leave me your list in the comments. You don't have to copy my topic, but feel free if you need a little direction. I can't wait to hear what y'all have to say!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I sooo miss the fair too! It was always so amazing that our little town had such a big fair with something for everyone. I'd love to go back too but I have a feeling it would be the same with out the great friends that made it so fun! I can't wait for some heat after the long, freezing, snowy winter we had! I love camping too. Nathanael was just saying last night, he felt like camping. We don't do it as much as we'd like to. One day we'll have to try to camp together, so much fun!!!! I love BBQ too but I always get stuck doing it! But I still love it. This is a great list, summer, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say that the fair would NOT have the same feeling without the great friends that made it fun. I really should read over my comment before I post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the Fair!!! Memories.....I don't do rides, but the animals were always so cute and the food....the Knights of Columbus had the best "horse blankets"....I can almost smell them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...5 things about summer?...

    (in no particular order!)

    1. BBQ's - I like BBQ dinners because they don't heat the house up, and it gives me a chance to be outside reading while I wait for the dinner to burn - er, I mean, cook.

    2. Neighbourhood parties - My neighbourhood has a long tradition of getting together on weekends in the summer to sit around a 'campfire' and cook 'smores etc. It has all the benefits of camping without the problems of sleeping in a puddle because the tent wasn't set up properly! (But maybe, that's only happened to me?)

    3. Accidental Blackberries - A couple years ago, blackberry bushes/vines appeared in my yard, and last year was the first time berries grew. Sun-warmed blackberries IS the taste of summer!...well, in my opinion anyways.

    4. Out of town guests. Usually in the summer we have some family members come visit for a while. Our house is very small, so they don't stay with us...but we get to see them a lot because they stay with my Grandparents in the next town...or rather metropolis...of our area. All the fun of seeing family without having to try to cram, er, accommodate them into the tiny house.

    5. Time for reading. I LOVE to read, and I read just about anything and everything I can. Now that summer is here (at least that is what this heat wave has me believing) I have 'extra' time to read...because it is too hot to go upstairs to sleep at any sort of reasonable hour.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean you camp for two weeks with both children? I am amazed and impressed!

    Fairs? Not so much. I have a carnie fear thing going on...

    Glad you have an innocent fair-love reminiscent of days gone by...it's heartening in some way...not so jaded like me with my twisted carnie fear thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great things about summer. I would say Amen to the fresh food the most.
    The fair we go to every year as a big group but I think this year Luke will be in school when we go. He is going to be so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!