Thursday, May 28, 2009

Five things I love about my home

Welcome to five things Thursday! Sorry it's a little late going up today. The bed called to me last night and I've been preparing a splendid supper for the crock pot to cook this morning.

Anywho... this week I'm seeking to find five things I love about my home. When we moved in here 5 years ago, the plan was to be on our way to the next step by now. Peanut-lover and I have been feeling especially restless here lately... longing for, among other things, more space, separate bedrooms for the kids, a yard, a garage. But since life never seems to take us in the direction we expect, or in the time frame we expect, it's time for me to remind myself what I love about living here.

1. My kitchen

I do really love my kitchen. It's not my dream kitchen, but it suits our family perfectly right now. It is dead centre in the middle of our home, and since I spend 90% of my waking hours in there, it is a great place to be and still remain present with the activity of the rest of the household. A woman never has enough cupboards or counter space, but I do have enough to fit all our stuff, to prevent me from buying more stuff, and to force me to keep our stuff organized.

I must say, though, that I much prefer when it looks like this:

...rather than when it looks like this:

(That's KK at JJ's age by the way)

2. Two full bathrooms

We have a main bathroom with a tub, and then an en suite bathroom with a shower. Two bathrooms are so great to have when we are in a hurry, when we are sick, and when we have guests... not to mention, when we are potty-training!

It's also nice that the main bathroom doesn't get used nearly as much as our en suite, so if I'm having guests over, it usually only requires a quick tidy, rather than a deep clean.

3. Carpets

Yeah, I know. Allergies, dust, dirt etc. I still love carpets in our living room. We do a lot of floorplay in there. (And if you had to reread that word after my last post, you'd be right about that too!) (What?! TMI?)

ANYWAYS... we wrestle, we build tents, we cuddle, we read books, we dance. I'm sorry, but an area rug just isn't the same.



4. In-suite laundry

I do a load of laundry almost every day. And sometimes, I do emergency loads. Like when JJ bathes his blankie in the toilet, or someone barfs in the bed. Many of the suites in our building do not have a washer and dryer built into them. I have NO idea how I would manage if I had to go down to the laundry room downstairs. NO IDEA.


5. Ownership

Well, we don't own all of our home. But we purchased it at the perfect time, right before prices in this area started sky-rocketing. In the current market, we own a little over 1/3 of our home. When we do move, we will likely move further from the city, where market prices are lower. So for the same mortgage payments, we will be able to upgrade quite a bit. That gives us hope when we get restless about wanting to move up. So far, we have done very well to just wait.

Now it's your turn. What's your five things this week? Write a blog post and link up to join the fun. Or, if you don't have a blog, leave me your list in the comments. You don't have to copy my topic, but feel free if you need a little direction. I can't wait to hear what y'all have to say!


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important to find peace where you are living no matter how big or how small. I too struggle cause i want a garage, a yard of our own and storage space and separate rooms for all the kids BUT i do have remember that our place is up to date, clean and its ours...
    Thanks for reminding me of that!

    my bad i posted signed in as Darrin before..sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good post!
    I couldn't imagine not having my own laundry room, especially with kids. Way to much happens way to often.

    I know I can knit pick my house all day long with what I hate about it but there is good in it to. I am really picking at my house these days since my little brother just bought a brand new home. Someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next Thursday you can count me in because I love this Thursday thing! I do not know how a person with children could deal with no washer and dryer...

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!