Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Some good news for once

SIGH!

(That's me heaving a big sigh of relief.)

Five weeks ago, when I was feeding JJ, I found a lump in my breast. I went to see my doctor, thinking she would tell me it was normal. Instead she sent me for an ultrasound.

I was freaked out.

I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to make a big deal of it. But I did make a really big deal about it in my head. I'm a worrier by nature.

After recently losing our friend Con to cancer, I was understandably nervous. Not nervous for me really, but nervous for my family. I couldn't bear to see them suffer like I knew they would. (Because they like me. At least I think they do. Well, most of them.)

Yesterday, I finally had my ultrasound. Up on the wall was a notice saying that the technician couldn't give me the results of my exam. But she did. She said it was just a normal thickening. I still have to see my doctor for the final report, but what a relief!

I was so happy afterward that I went to London Drugs and impulse shopped for a little while. Don't worry about our bank account. Impulse shopping for me means that I picked up some hangers and some flash cards (I'm wild and crazy like that!)

Now that the stress is off, I am surprised to feel rather... uh... nothing. Or maybe even a little low. That has surprised me. I think I'm just worn out from carrying the stress for so long.

Or maybe I have a little survivor guilt. I mean, lots of people get cancer. Why would I be spared this time?

Or maybe it's just the usual let down after waiting for something...

Weird, eh?

6 comments:

  1. Whew is right! Sorry you had to go through this scare.

    And I totally get what you mean about feeling weird when everything turns out fine. Because you prepare yourself for the dramatic and then...
    whew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can also totally relate. the midwife thought ollie was twins. by the time we got to our ultrasound - about two weeks later at 7am with joel in tow - i'd mentally bought a new car, written a shopping list, moved house......

    when there was only ONE baby, it was first of all like someone had killed the imaginary twin, but once we'd got over that, then it wasn't like you could phone people and say guess what, i know i told you i was pregnant. well i've got news - it's a baby.

    Yeeeessss - just like last time, and the news is.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all is well in Peanut world! Very good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new header was sssooo easy. You should try it. Do you remember in a past post I talked about Scrapblog.com? I had even put a picture of a scrap-page I made on there? All you do is make a scrapbook page and then you have the option to export it as a jpeg to your desktop (or wherever you want to save it) and then put it in as your header. You can use your pictures in it like I did, put in text, get all sorts of neat backgrounds and stickers. I had so much fun I made a few more, for the different seasons and holidays. It doesn't take long. You should try it, I think I sent you an email invitation. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing like a clear ultrasound these days. It is cause to celebrate. And I love buying hangers! (Love to color-code them...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to here everything turned out OK. That had to be a little scary and stressful.
    Someone told me a statistic that 1 in 4 people these days ends up with some form of Cancer. That is a crazy number and a scarry one.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!