Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Conversations with KK: You're making what??!!!??

OK, I've got approximately 10 minutes to write this before my kids are done with their reading movie. (I feel less like a slacker mom if I give them educational movies to watch, instead of letting them watch Shrek for the 1037th time). Mama's having a hard time finding any free time these days!

As part of the kids' bedtime routine, we bathe them most nights. I know it's a lot of work, but it really helps them settle to have the routine and also to burn off any remaining energy. They can be total crankpots right up until the bath, but once I start the water running, it doesn't matter how tired they are, they are happy again.

The last few nights, KK has spent the bathtime busily creating something, and I have yet to figure out what it is. Maybe you can help me figure it out.

She starts by squirting water into our large rinsing cup.

"Mommy, I'm making tools."

"You're making what?"

"Tools."

"What?"

"TOOLS!"

"What?"

"TOO-OOOLS!!!"

"Stools?"

"Yes!"

(When an "s" is followed by a consonant, she tends to put the "s" sound at the end of the word. But she also attaches an almost "s" sound to the beginning of the word, which is why I know that she is not saying "tools".)

I've seen stools made in the bath before, and they usually are followed by much more excitement and disgust than I'm seeing here. So I decide I need some clarification, "What are stools?"

She answers me by explaining how they are made, "First you squirt water like this. Then you put in some sugar." She pumps the shower release and apparently sugar comes out of the tap into the cup.

"Then you put it in the oven to took (cook)." She places a very full cup of water on the edge of the tub. I try my hardest not to stress about it. I have a big towel within arm's reach.

For a moment I am distracted by JJ crawling around in the tub. His teeny tiny bare bum, sticking up in the air is too cute to resist.

"Ding ding ding. Now they're done. Now we eat them."

I'm still clueless, so I try a new tactic. "What do stools look like?"

"They are red and little like this (she puts her hands into a little circle). And they have a little button and you push it and it go beep!"

"Hmmmm. Ok, let's wash up."

I guess I should be happy that these are the only kinds of stools that are being created in the tub right now.

But what the heck is she making????

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad she's not making "stools" in the tub. Three's a crowd! :)
    I have been thinking on what she's making and I just don't know...
    I thought, OH ice cream! But that totally doesn't rhyme with stools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is kind of like she has her own version of pig latan... putting the s's at the end of the word haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh...hehe..you're going to have me pondering what "stools" are all day!!!

    do be sure to let us know if you figure it out! :-D lol

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!