Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Merry Christmas!... or Happy New Year... or WAIT! It's the middle of January??

I have been gently reminded that it has been a while since I blogged. Then strongly encouraged (with many exclamation marks) to blog again. And then right out ordered to blog by my never-subtle cousin (love you Lisa... and not just because you told me I look hot yesterday :)

What? You guys haven't been getting my posts? I have been carefully writing them, every day.

In my head.

Oh, you don't have access to my brain? Well, that explains it. It's probably better that way. It's pretty messy in there. You might get hurt. Or at least annoyed. I know I get annoyed if I spend much time in my own brain.

So here I am, sitting at the library on my morning off, beside a really stinky man, all for you guys :) Ok, and partly for me. Because if I don't get some of this stuff out of my brain, it might actually explode. And that would be gross. Because remember, it's messy in there.

(As I'm trying to figure out how to transition into the next part of this post, I've noticed that the person at the computer in front of me is looking at picture after picture of Suri Cruise online. How does one get time to come to the library to look at pictures of celebrity babies? I'd really like to know.)

We took two weeks to celebrate Christmas this year. We spent a few days with Peanut-lover's family, then a few days with my mom and her husband, and then nearly a week with my dad and his wife (they live further away and we won't get to see them much now that I'm back working weekends).

Then we got dumped into January. Peanut-lover started teaching a new course and I started working one shift each weekend. That only partially explains the why of my absence though... and I think you'll like the rest of the why.

Through the last few months, Peanut-lover has been working himself really hard. Too hard in fact. And by default, I have been working too hard. As parents, we rarely operate independantly because when one of us takes on more outside of the home, the other has to cover for them. I knew we were working too hard but felt helpless to do anything about it.

I have always believed that our bodies need rest and will eventually make us take the rest we need. So I wasn't terribly surprised when we spent nearly all of November sick. But still we worked too hard.

Then Christmas break happened. And Peanut-lover crashed. Suddenly, I had to be the strong one for once. There were multiple issues that finally overwhelmed him. It was a hard road for us. But then he started to come out of it and good things started happening.

We started praying together, about everything. We started relying on each other again. We started being there for each other. We started spending evenings together talking. We got busy re-evaluating our priorities and our busyness. We let some stuff go.

So that's where I've been. Spending time with my husband and falling in love with him in a new way. Joining with him to lead our family. Enjoying my kids. Enjoying my man.

And it feels really good.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, that was a really sweet post. When times are tough, God always turns it for our good and teaches us something. You have come out stronger and closer, amazing! I'd like some limited access to your brain, so I could catch up on all the missed years! I'm so glad that we have grown closer again, maybe one day we'll talk in person, imagine! Praying for less stress and more peace in this new year for you and your family! (2008 was a doozy wasn't it?) Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! You are an amazing writer and an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had so much on your plate on so many different levels!

    Anon said that you're an amazing writer and an amazing person. I agree of course. (don't you always want to know who anon is? but anyway) It's true. You guys have been going through a lot in this last year. You've got a new year now and I hope it brings you peace and a continued closeness (is closeness a word?)

    I've missed you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that is a very good reason to blog less. I hope you don't give up blogging but I understand where you are coming from and if you slow down I will catch you when you do blog. :)

    Sometimes I think I could spend a little less time blogging and a little more time with the family.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!