Tuesday, August 11, 2009

How I earned my plumbing skills

Our ensuite bathroom is pretty tiny, but it has a large counter and that's where most diapers get changed. The counter is right beside the toilet, but since JJ has this thing for splashing in the toilet, the lid is usually down and locked.

Sometimes fate just has a way of making magic happen though...

One day, JJ was laying there getting his diaper changed. I use the term "laying" loosely. He hates having his diaper changed because it takes more than one second and to be still for more than one second is just plain torture for him. I distract him with a tube of toothpaste. I know he shouldn't be eating miniscule amounts of toothpaste at every diaper change, but, well, the butt must get cleaned somehow. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Honestly, sometimes with this child, I just have to take the lesser of two evils...

So, he was laying there getting his diaper changed, playing with a tube of toothpaste and getting mad. I can't remember why he was mad, but he had that look about him like he was going to start throwing stuff.

At the exact second that I noticed the "I'm mad enough to throw stuff" look, KK walked in and announced that she needed to pee. She opened the lid of the toilet and noticing that it hadn't been flushed, flushed the toilet. It was at that exact second that JJ decided to launch the toothpaste through the air. I watched as it sailed up, over my shoulder and, just as the last bit of water swirled in the toilet, the toothpaste fell right in and disappeared out of sight.

We all stood there and stared at it for a moment. It deserved a moment of silence. It was Shrek toothpaste after all.

When the shock wore off, I pulled out my best plumbing skills: I locked the lid and popped a sign on the toilet that said "Do not use".

Peanut-lover didn't think that was good enough, so many days later when we finally had all the parts, he removed the toilet from the floor and yours truly got to extract the tube of toothpaste from the toilet. Let's just say I'm extremely grateful that, on occasion, I accidentally come home from work with a couple pairs of examination gloves in my pocket. And that I'm flexible.

Do you need more detail than that?

I didn't think so.

3 comments:

  1. LOL.... Thanks for the great laugh.

    I never fished on single thing from the toilet when Luke was little. Thomas on the other hand is constantly tossing something in the toilet and it usually happens when his big brother is using it. YUCK!

    The worst was while on vacation. The first night we stopped in a hotel and stayed the night. The next morning we are ready to leave and I can't find Thomas's bottle anywhere. For some reason I elect to go lift the toilet lid and look and guess where it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes... toilet fishing. And Shrek toothpaste definitely deserves a moment of silence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! And no, I think I'll leave some details to my imagination:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!