No, wait. Let's back up.
I worked night shifts on Saturday and Sunday nights. Then we left for our big camping trip. (Why does that matter? I need someone to pat me on the back and tell me I'm a hero ;)
Tuesday, we packed up and headed for Seattle to spend the night at my dad's before heading out for our Big Camping Trip. The kids yelled the entire drive down. Peanut-lover and I discussed ways we could trick the grandparents into driving our vehicle to the campsite. I really thought we'd have a couple more years before I'd hear, "Mommy, JJ's looking at my video screen, not his." Seriously?
When we arrived at my dad's, we found his truck torn apart in their driveway. I heard words like "front-end" and "ball-bearings" and "brakes" and that's about all I got. But, it meant work before we could leave. So, first thing Wednesday morning, my dad and Peanut-lover did their man-work and got the truck back together. Then we packed up and headed out for our Big Camping Trip.
Now, you might wonder why this camping trip was so BIG. We do go camping at least twice a summer after all. But not in a tent. Never before in a tent. Usually, we borrow the in-laws' RV, which, quite honestly, is not camping, but rather living in a smaller space and going outside more often. Which works for us.
But, this time we were encouraged to try tent camping (since originally the RV was unavailable anyways). So, we headed out to the Okanogan (no, I didn't spell that wrong. It was the American Okanogan, rather than the Canadian Okanagan, where I grew up). Sun Lakes near the Grand Coulee Dam, in case you're interested.
It was a beautiful drive. I spent the entire time going back and forth between oohs and aahs, and trying to find interesting things to point out to the kids. who. would. not. nap.
I was in awe of these majestic looking things:
Huge, GINORMOUS wind turbines. Amazing.
I laughed as we passed a property lined with trees, all leaning at a 30 degree angle. Yes, laughed.
We saw lots of trees that looked like this:
And this:
And this:
But we never clued in, when we arrived here:
...what a drive that included wind turbines, sideways trees, and wind-bared trees would mean for our camping.
To be continued...


Your trip sounded like lots of fun. I am not sure I could do the tent camping but I am sure it will happen one of these days.
ReplyDeleteYeah, my kids do the same thing in the car going back and forth. It about drives me nuts. The one good thing is they will always nap. Maybe not at the same time but cars do a great job of knocking my boys out. I am lucky!