Monday, September 15, 2008

Conversations with KK: ...And God?

A few months ago, KK surprised me by asking if she could pray before lunch. And a beautiful prayer it was:

"Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so. Little ones to him belong. They are weak but he is strong. Amen!" (Complete with breaks for her to grab another bite of food).

Every once-in-awhile she would ask to pray again and it was always the same prayer.

Then she started asking to pray at every meal. And the prayer got shorter:

"Jesus loves me this I know, and thank you for the food... and my cousins. Amen!"

Now she's shortened it even more:

"Jesus loves me and the food. Amen!"

I should probably teach her how to pray properly, but I think it's ok to let her be little for just a tiny bit longer... right?

3 comments:

  1. I love it. That's pretty much how Miles prays too. I think pretty soon it will just be
    "Dear God. Amen." But at least they're learning the habit of taking the time (even it's really short) to pray.
    So cute :)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's precious. That was how my oldest started out (and how my littlest prays now) I think it is so great to hear them initiate it like that.

    Just wait, soon you'll be listening to "and thank you for elephants and thank you for eggs and for wildflowers and dogs and God bless China and God bless everyone who is alive and everyone who is in heaven and..." while you are starving for a bite of dinner!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heehee, very cute. My middle son will pray forever while our food gets cold. My oldest says basically the same thing, "Dear Jesus, thank you for the food and thank you for this day, Amen" There was a time when they wouldn't pray so I am happy they are making an effort.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!