Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wfmw - Cutting Onions

Ok, I might be the last person on earth to have noticed this, and if so, then this post is just so you all can congratulate me for finally figuring it out... but just in case there is someone else out there who hasn't...

I realized recently that I have not been using the fact that onions have layers to my full advantage. Yes, onions have layers, as do ogres, cake, and parfait. (Shrek has been known to babysit my children more often than I'd like to admit.)

If I cut the onion in half, from end to end, (instead of parallel to the ends), it takes advantage of the onion layers.



I can then take one of those halves and cut it in slices, and then cut the slices cross-wise and the layers all fall apart into perfect sized little pieces. If I want smaller pieces, I just cut smaller slices.




This has greatly reduced my tears related to frustration, although it has done little for those tears related to onion juice droplets in my eyes. (If you've got tips on that, leave me a comment... PLEASE!)


Another simple tip I discovered is for green onions. I cut the length in half, and then in half again. Then I cut all these smaller pieces at the same time instead of cutting a skinny little onion from one end to the other. I may only be saving myself seconds, but for some reason it feels better on my knife to be cutting a larger amount at one time. I'm strange like that.




For more great tips, head on over to Works For Me Wednesday at Rocks in my Dryer.

9 comments:

  1. To get rid of onion "tears", I actually rinse my knife off with water before I am cutting the onion. Then once the onion is peeled, I also rinse it and the knife again. It really helps cut down the odor and lets you go tear free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing I have found for eliminating tears when chopping onions is turning on the back element of a stove to its hottest setting and cutting the onion on a cutting board over the front element. The heat absorbs and carries away the tear-causing oils or whatever the heck it is.

    I also heard that sticking your head in the freezer works when you start tearing up (though this has never worked for me... though it did feel pretty nice in general)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always cut onions and green onions the way you do now, it is easier. I've heard that onions won't make you tear up if you don't cut the root end until last. (I think it is the root end) Apparently once you cut that root part off, it lets out that stinging onion odour. You could try it and see, I've never bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having really cold onions cuts down on the fumes from the onions too. Or my other favorite method for chopped onions is to go to the frozen food aisle of my grocer and buy them already chopped! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always keep cold water running, sticking my hands in it when I feel the tear tingle starting or if I am actually organized, I put the onion in the freezer for 15 minutes before I start cutting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking the cold onion theory might be a good one. I hadn't thought about it but I only have tear problems when I cut into a fresh onion (I will try not to cut the root end). Once I've peeled and cut into an onion I always put it in the fridge and the next time I don't have any tears. I hadn't realized it, good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm horrible at cutting stuff so I like this idea a lot. It's true, I don't think clearly before starting to cut and before you know it, I've got all kinds of crazy stuff going on :)
    Um, crying over onions though? Martha Stewart advises to put a lit candle very close by your cutting board and says that it the smoke from the candle cuts out the fumes. HUH. So I tried it, and I believe she may be correct!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, take a look at this: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-peel-onion-without-crying.html
    The perfect way to cut an onion without crying and a recipe for a dish I know you love!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!