I'm writing this post as part of Soap Opera Sunday which is being hosted by one of my favourite bloggers, Heather of the Extraordinary Ordinary. Honestly, I can't believe she reads my stuff because her writing is SO GOOD! Sometimes I think she is me because she writes exactly what I'm feeling, except in an articulate, introspective way.
This week's theme is "Three's Company or Three's a Crowd."
Back when I was thirteen, I was a happy-go-lucky, naive little girl. Clueless about a lot, let me tell you.
Youth Group was where you could find me every Friday night. Yes, even though my younger brother claimed he never wanted to be a teenager if it meant giving up Friday family night to go hang out with friends. Oh, I was a family girl, just not on Friday nights.
This particular Friday night, we had gone out to some meeting for something at some camp out somewhere. The details are slightly foggy. After the service, or meeting, or whatever it was, we were all just hanging out in little groups, doing what teens do best, just hangin'.
Somehow, I found myself alone with a much older guy and girl. They were probably 17, which, when you're barely 13, seems practically grown-up. I was cracking jokes with them and probably having what I thought was very mature discussions with them. I had no idea they were just trying to get alone because they liked each other. And probably wanted to make-out. Because I was naive. And clueless. And cluelessly clueless.
Then the guy asked the girl if she wanted to go for a walk. And I said, "Sure! I love walks!". So off we went. The guy. The girl. And me. Smack dab in between them. (I'm so embarassed for myself right now.)
It wasn't until many days later, when I heard the guy talking about how he and this girl were now dating, that I finally got it. Three's a crowd, and number 3? Well, that was me.
To find more on this week's theme, head on over to SOS at the Extraordinary Ordinary. You'll be glad you did!
That is actually a very cute story. Sure you stopped them from making out, but isn't that the job of a thirteen year old? :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words, lady. You are much better at this writing and introspection thing than you give yourself credit for!
I love it when I unwittingly put myself in mischief's way.... Ah, but the awkwardness....
ReplyDeleteCute story.
Ha ha! I still find myself unwittingly getting in between S----- and J--... and I'm definitely not thirteen any more ;)
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to tell you thank you so much for your recent comment on my blog. I really stressed about writing that 9/11 post -- so many others lived through much, much worse. But y'all understood my intent and were so, so kind. Thank you again!
ReplyDeleteOh... and can I just say... your post? your threesome? that would SO be me about twenty years ago.
ReplyDeleteI blush about so many things I did when I was young but that's what it's all about--making mistakes and learning from them. Cute story!
ReplyDelete