Thursday, April 16, 2009

Five things I love about my van :)

If you've been paying close attention to my "Five things I love about..." posts, you may have noticed that these posts fall into either of two categories. The first kind are things that I actually love. These are the easy posts to write and include posts about Peanut-lover, KK, JJ, my mom, my dad, my brother, my job, and Spring.

The second kind are things that I tend to complain about. But, in my quest to learn contentedness, I am trying to focus on the positives about these things or situations. These are the harder posts to write and include living in a condo and still living in this city. Today's post also falls into this second category. I actually have a hard time writing these kind of posts because after listing two or three items, I can't think about anything else to write. So I have quite a few drafts waiting to be finished. Today's post is quite timely, because I didn't have my fifth reason until yesterday morning. If nothing else can be made of a bad situation, at least it gives me something to blog about, right?!

Today, I want to talk about five things I love about my van.


1. No monthly payments.

We bought our van about 18 months ago. We paid $1000 for it and about another $1000 for my FIL to fix it up for us. It has about a 100 billion kilometres on it, but we don't care. We're going to drive it into the ground anyway and instead of being tied to a car payment, we are just building up money in savings to have ready for when it dies.

2. It's a Ford.

Forgive me Dad, I know you raised me right. And part of that raising included shunning Fords. But... Peanut-lover's dad is a mechanic. A Ford mechanic. Our very trusted and reliable mechanic. He likes working on Fords, so it works out well that we drive a Ford. He has saved us thousands of dollars by being able to fix up our van for us.

3. Captain's seats in the middle row.

When we were looking for a van, I was adamant about having these and I'm so glad I fought for them. For the kids to be able to touch each other, they both have to cooperate. Which they do quite well. I'll often look back to see them holding hands across the aisle. Or passing food or toys to each other. But they can't hit, poke, or tickle each other, so until staring at each other becomes an issue, our drives will remain pretty peaceful.

4. It's shared.

Peanut-lover and I share one vehicle. It is challenging, but very good for our communication. We have to plan ahead together for who needs the vehicle and who can take transit. It's also eco-friendly. I like that.

5. Adding another scratch or dent doesn't matter. It just blends in.


It looked like this until yesterday. A little dent in the bumper and a key scratch on the sliding door. Then I misjudged a corner in a parking lot and scraped the entire right side across a BMW bumper. Oops. Instead of having my husband completely freak out about a new scratch on his precious vehicle, he just shrugged it off (and then held me while I hysterically cried for hours). The worst damage that occurred from my little accident? KK learned some new words that she's not allowed to use. (Oops).

Isn't this van a great thing? Who needs a new vehicle, right? (Work with me here people!)

Now it's your turn. What's your five things this week? Write a blog post and link up to join the fun. Or, if you don't have a blog, leave me your list in the comments. You don't have to copy my topic, but feel free if you need a little direction. I can't wait to hear what y'all have to say!

3 comments:

  1. OH NO, misjudging in the car happens to me all the time. No big accidents yet, but lots of scrapes and bumps. OOOOPS :)

    Now I want your van.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all over the used car thing! I'd never be able to drive if I had a new car...I'd be so worried about damaging it I wouldn't be paying enough attention to driving and actually do real damage to it (or me or someone else) instead of just a scrape or a dent.

    My car has a really high trunk which means the blind spot is HUGE...and there is not enough space in this blog to tell you about all the walls and fences etc. I have bumped into...

    And then there is the huge scratch in my back bumper and the hole in my front bumper because someone bumped me when I was parked and never 'fessed up about it.

    But this is really only one thing I like about my car...

    2) It's blue. I've always wanted to have a blue car...ever since we had our old Buick Skylark with the houndstooth upholstery.

    3) It allows me to be independent. I'm no longer tied to the busses where it takes 90 minutes to get to work and 3 hours to get to school.

    4)I have an awesome parking spot! It's under a pine tree (okay, so I'm not such a fan of the omnipresent pine needles in my car) so I usually only have to scrape off half my car in the winter.

    5) It has a trunk button! It was the coolest thing about my Grandpa's Oldsmobile...and I think it is a pretty cool feature on my car too.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love it!!! I know what you say when it is hard to write these things and humble yourself when you do. Your 5 Things are very hard in some cases but they also make me really look at things that I don't always like and look at the good in them. That is what I love about it. I bought my SUV new 3.5 years ago and it is almost paid for. I don't really like the thing all that much but I am driving it until it dies. I am paying it off soon and that is it. No more car payments for me and that will put a lot of money back in my pocket and that is a good thing. Plus I have keep the milage low so I have a good 8 more years of driving this thing if I stay on top of the maintance.

    Sorry about your little accident. Isn't it great teaching the little ones new words. LOL...

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!