When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was grow up. Now that I'm technically there... all I can think is when am I going to feel grown-up?
Sometimes I feel like I'm faking it, an imposter, and one day, everyone is going to discover that I'm not really grown-up. Especially when I'm around other grown-ups... as in everyone I hang out with!
Peanut-lover says to me, "You feel like you're faking it... as in, you feel like you're faking having two kids, a job, and a mortgage?"
No, not quite. Just faking being grown-up.
Anyone else ever feel like that?
Yes! I totally understand. I always talk about things I want to do "when I grow up". Could our parents feel the same way when they were where we are?
ReplyDeleteI think about this all the time. I just don't feel my age or grown up at all most of the time. I too stop and wonder if this is how the generations before me felt too. Like they had too much responsibility for being a kid, then realizing "Oh yeah, I guess I'm practically middle-aged!" GASP! WHAT??? That can't be!
ReplyDeleteIsn't being grown up more a state of mind rather than a state of being? I like the old adage: "You are only as old as you feel" (somedays, I swear I'm, like, 92!). I think being grown up has more to do with the level of responsibility in your life than any chronological measure.
ReplyDeleteEmily
oh my gosh...i feel that way too...i know EXACTLY what you mean! Shoot.. I'm 25, have 2 new cars almost paid for, have been out of college for 3 years, have worked in management, am married with a 4 month old baby, 3 dogs, AND a mortgage.
ReplyDeleteYet I still get excited over getting to play mario kart for a few minutes on my pink nintendo DS. lol
I think some of the other cultures in other parts of the world have it right - they live with 3 generations (kid, parent, grandparent). Maybe once you become a grandparent you start feeling like an adult??? :) i dunno... just glad to hear someone else voice my own thoughts like you just did in this post.