Yesterday was a rough day behaviour-wise. And the kids were acting up a lot too.
It got to the point where I had to discipline KK for her defiance. Usually, we resolve the issue and come to a place of forgiveness and peace with each other before we leave her room. This time, I guess we weren't quite there when I let her out of the room.
I'm just finishing up packing the diaper bag while KK is using the bathroom.
KK: Mommy, I not like you everymore.
Me: Well, you don't have to like me. I'm still your mommy.
KK: I not like you. You hurt myself.
Me: Mommy doesn't like it either, but you need to learn to listen to mommy. Do you need to have a little cuddle with me?
KK: Yeah. (sniffle)
So we cuddle until she seems happy again and I thought that was the end of it.
I'm tucking her in bed and we are chatting about her day as we always do.
KK: I not like this mommy. I want my red (other) mommy.
Me: What other mommy? You only have one mommy.
KK: I want my nice mommy. The mommy at yours physio.
(That's what I get for telling her that I need a break for physio so that I can be a better mommy)
Again this morning, "I not like you mommy". I have a feeling I'm going to be hearing about this for awhile...
They sure know what to say to cut to the heart sometimes don't they? Of course we both know they don't mean it and are still learning about the power of their words. Mine usually took a different tactic and would make me feel guilty by saying I didn't like or love them anymore. Now Joseph tells me I'm not his friend anymore. All part of the journey. Nathanael has learned the impact of words and won't say anything like that anymore and is very hurt if someone says it to him. She'll learn too. You handled it very well.
ReplyDeleteWhen my kids say this I stoop to their level and say "okaaaay...but then you can't come to my birthday party..."
ReplyDeleteThey always take it back. :)