Friday, August 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Harmony

**disclaimer: Hi mom. I know it's your birthday today too. But you're ageing gracefully in Greece, or Italy, or Sicily, or somewhere else amazing. Clearly, you don't need a birthday post to make your day! Happy Birthday!**

Today is my BFF Harmony's 29th birthday. We've been friends now for 15 years! Longer than not. And my life has been greatly enriched since we met.

We met at family camp 1993. Ah, the good old days. Two boy-crazy teenagers. Ok, I was boy-crazy. She liked boys.

We've been inseparable ever since. Well... unless you count that there's an entire country separating us and we've probably only seen each other twice in 8 years. But our hearts are inseparable.

She's the only friend who could hold me as I suffered my first heartbreak. She's the friend who knew everything bad about me, and somehow loved me anyway. She's the friend who has seen every side of me... even the blue side... and I don't mean sad, right Harm?! She's the friend who tolerated sleep-overs where I tended to launch my "orthodontic appliance" blindly across the room at her and talked straight until I fell asleep.

She's the friend I didn't support when she had her first baby because I was in school and had NO CLUE. She's the friend who patiently waited 7 years for me to catch up in life with her, so we could be close again. She's the friend who was first to find out I was pregnant with KK, back at the last, wonderful time I saw her. She's the friend I turn to when I need to talk (email-talk) about mommy things. She's the friend who says that yes, it is hard, but you'll get through this.



That's us in grade 10 or 11. I'm the geeky looking one on the left. She's the beautiful one on the right. Just looking at her feels like home.

When we were in high-school, we often tried to pretend that we were twins. We had an elaborate story to explain why our last names were different. We managed to convince a lot of people. At teen camp the year she was 16, she didn't want to pretend anymore because I was still 15 and she wanted everyone to know that she had her driver's license (and I couldn't pretend to be 16 because I didn't have mine).

Happy Birthday Harmy! I bet you're wishing you were the younger twin now!

I am so proud to see the woman you have become.

Always know your friendship means the world to me.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm in tears!! That was so sweet of you. We did meet a little before family camp but it was at camp where you had to detach yourself from someone long enough to befriend me! I miss you so much and reading this post brought back so many memories! By the way, I saw that picture and laughed hard! I don't remember that, where was that taken? I've never felt like you didn't support me. We were living very different lives at the time, you were as supportive as you could be and I never felt abandoned or unloved. I'm so glad we have stayed close friends all these years! I'm glad that we have connected again and I knew we will never let it go! Thanks for your many years of friendship and I hope we can see each other again sometime, before our kids get married! (wink wink) Miss you blue moon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who was I attached to? Was that the year I had 7 crushes?
    I can't remember when we took that picture, but it was organized with pictures of either grade 10 or 11.
    See, that is why I feel so lucky to have you as a friend. You have always seen the good in me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it won't be creepy for me to say I hope I get to meet you one day. We have a ton in common. I too have been blessed with friendships like this and could completely get what you're saying to your dear friend.

    And I had to laugh that I was always the boy-crazy one, and the one who wouldn't shut up until I feel asleep, and I've also looked back over the time when my bff had her babies and I was single. I was SO not supportive, I just didn't get it! I cried when I had babies and realized how clueless I was. I apologized and she said, I understood, we were just in different places"
    Good friends are one of God's greatest graces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, I mean.
    FELL asleep,
    not feel asleep.
    ugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were with "SEL" at the time I remember, when I first met you, you where hanging pretty close to him. But we discovered we were the only girls our age going to camp and that we would be friends, and we never looked back! That camp was so fun, I made "other" friends there too. We had so much fun together, wish we lived near each other! Maybe one day, you never know! Until then, you'll have to save up to come visit me! Also either next year or the year after I will try to get out on my own (can't afford to fly us all out). I'm scared to go on my own though, flying, connecting flights, long waits alone at a terminal! It would be worth it though, of course then I'd have to find a way around to everyone I'd have to see! Anyway, miss you, I'll send you an email instead of writing letters back and forth on here! heehee

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!