Friday, August 15, 2008

One experiment that actually worked

I've always been a bit of an experimenter. Not a good experimenter mind you. My family is vigorously nodding their heads as they read. I was just really curious. And not very, um, scientific.

Like the time I studied whether shampoo tastes the same as it smells. (It doesn't.) (Not even the kind with honey in the name, which is what got me started in the first place.)

Or the time I was baking and substituted baking powder for baking soda (or vice versa, I can't remember). We didn't eat those muffins.

I'm actually famous in my family for the hand lotions I used to invent. Not in a good way though. (Can I get an Amen, Lisa?)

My brother Some would say that most of my ex-boyfriends were experiments gone wrong as well. Hey, at least I learned from them. Well, some of them.

But the other day, I got one right.

Yay me!

I have been trying to cook frugally, but deliciously lately. Fresh herbs are expensive to buy and no, I can't grow plants! I nearly killed my cactus.

I needed fresh mint in this recipe. Sometimes I'll substitute another dried herb if I don't have it on hand, but this time I really felt the recipe needed the mint to complete the flavour. So I replaced some of the water in the recipe with strongly brewed mint tea. And it WORKED!

I may have turned the corner on my history of bad experiments...

...or not. Time will tell.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just curious, what was the recipe for? (homemade mint tea? wink, kidding!) Probably something yummy, maybe you did some experimenting with cooking but I remember you being a good cook! I don't remember homemade lotions but I remember experiments with sunless tanner! Heehee, didn't you tan a name on your stomach? heehee, Am I sharing too much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's funny that you're STILL trying to think of stuff! I got a few recipes wrong by experimenting and now I follow them to a T. I cannot stray from the recipe card. It's ridiculous.

    You've inspired me to bust out the tea.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! I love your comments, so please add lots! Please respect our privacy/paranoia however and be careful not to reveal any identifying information in your comments. My family thanks you!